First Timer Tips
- Be sure to tell everyone that you’re new to the sport and feel free to ask questions at any time. Our entire staff loves introducing new people to the sport and our cable operators are great at helping beginners learn how to get started. Anyone on the Wake Nation Houston team will be more than happy to provide you with all the specific help, instructions, answers, and suggestions you need, so please ask away.
- Bring a friend. After all, things are always more fun with a friend (or two).
- Start with a two-hour ride pass and a two-hour Wake Nation Special rental package. Newcomers should start their day with a few laps on a kneeboard. Kneeboarding has a very fast learning curve (most people can go around the lake within minutes) and it will give you a good feel for how the cable system works. Then, if you want, you can exchange your kneeboard for a wakeboard. Wakeboarding is a fun and easy sport, but it does take some practice. Most new riders learn how to successfully get up and stay up on their board within their first hour or two. People with “balance sport” experience (snowskiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, etc.) tend to learn the fastest, but anyone can learn to wakeboard their first morning on the lake.
- When in doubt, just drop the rope. If you ever have any problems or issues at all while riding, simply let go of the handle and you’ll instantly fall safely into the water and soon be able to start a brand new ride session.
- Don’t be intimidated. You’ll see some riders pulling off insane tricks, but you don’t need to do any of that to have fun wakeboarding. We designed Wake Nation Houston to be a great riding experience for both complete beginners and expert wakeboarders.
- Come and spend the entire day at Wake Nation Houston. We’ve got a beautiful facility for you to hang out in even when you’re not physically riding on the lake. Houston weather is beautiful and there’s a huge observation deck for you to catch some rays, and watch some amazing wakeboarding. We’ve got a full pro shop if you want to check out the latest gear, a concession stand for when you get hungry, and anything else you could need for a perfect day at the lake.
- Bring a bathing suit and towel. We’ve got everything else you’ll need on site.
- Save some time. Print out and sign the waiver now and you’ll get started even faster when you arrive at Wake Nation Houston.
- Have FUN! That’s why we’re here and why we’re sure you’ll want to come back.